Good news for the elim server

This forum is open to the general public. Keep it clean.
Sckewi
Visitor
Visitor

Good news for the elim server

Firstly, hi it's been a while since I posted here. xD

Just thought I'd let you know that Bungie is rolling out a new policy where server admins are not allowed to put fake players or AFKs on their servers 24/7 as a means of trying to get players.

http://xhalo.tk/forum/thread-384.html

This is good for the rest of us since most people order by number of player's descending and don't join empty servers. Right now there are about 20 servers which are just fake players, pushing the rest of the servers to the bottom of the list.

So in theory if you go on the elim server once this has been rolled out it should be easier to actually get a game going lol.

Regards.
Redox?
Visitor
Visitor

Re: Good news for the elim server

Sckewi wrote:Just thought I'd let you know that Bungie is rolling out a new policy where server admins are not allowed to put fake players or AFKs on their servers 24/7 as a means of trying to get players.

lol'd
honestly bungie has far bigger and better things to worry about than halo pc and their "increase in afking botted players"

have fun with your lobby of what used to be 15 "active" servers, to 2 active servers.
[center]Image
ImageImage
#fkit420blazethamollys
Echo 199: you are the weirdest kid I know
Echo 199: legit

sP` Di$ni: i need a small screwdriver
sP` Di$ni: to stick up my ass
sP` Di$ni: brb

The loneliest people are the kindest. The saddest people smile the brightest. The most damaged people are the wisest.
All because they do not wish to see anyone else suffer the way they do.

[/center]
Sckewi
Visitor
Visitor

>lol'd
>honestly bungie has far bigger blah blah blah

Well done. Clap clap clap.

>have fun with your lobby of what used to be 15 "active" servers, to 2 active servers.

To be fair I am actually worried about this, and have posted something along those lines in the topic I linked.

Halo's not completely dead though, I play it nearly every day and have many busy games often on full servers.
Sckewi
Dr Lag
Visitor
Visitor

Sckewi wrote:>lol'd

>have fun with your lobby of what used to be 15 "active" servers, to 2 active servers.

To be fair I am actually worried about this, and have posted something along those lines in the topic I linked.

Halo's not completely dead though, I play it nearly every day and have many busy games often on full servers.
Likewise, I am sure the mexicans will still populate the servers and someone somewhere will find a way around this.
these friken algger high pingers-Loyde
I have had less Lag running my call of duty 4 on Windows vista-A Radio
You know, I briefly spoke with you on Xfire a couple days ago, and for the rest of that day I had really bad in-game lag. :O-Shine
And now Lag is the one who is OP-Sock?
I Lag so bad when I engage someone close.-Slither
ImageImageImage
Lag
Thankx Sock? and Dart
={101st}=shiNe!
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks for posting this for us Skewi!
[center]
ImageImageImageImageImage
Image Image Image ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
[/center]
Sckewi
Visitor
Visitor

No problem! :)
Sckewi
Redox?
Visitor
Visitor

Sckewi wrote:>lol'd

>you sound salty

>the game is dead when people have to populate their servers with bots....i dont get how you dont understand this and are worried about it. They dont even play, the just stand there, and are just a place holder to make a server look like its populated. They're a waste of space, and if a server cant be populated without them, then good riddance to the bots and the server

>the loss of xfire, and with the removal of all the bot characters, hopefully you will realize how dead the game truly is.

>I'm honestly surprised this game has lasted this long. But those who deny the game is dead, dying, ripping in pieces, are just delusional.
[center]Image
ImageImage
#fkit420blazethamollys
Echo 199: you are the weirdest kid I know
Echo 199: legit

sP` Di$ni: i need a small screwdriver
sP` Di$ni: to stick up my ass
sP` Di$ni: brb

The loneliest people are the kindest. The saddest people smile the brightest. The most damaged people are the wisest.
All because they do not wish to see anyone else suffer the way they do.

[/center]
={101st}=shiNe!
Visitor
Visitor

Delusional we are. For the sake of maintaining friendships, I will continue to play this game.
[center]
ImageImageImageImage
[/center]
gt24
President
President

Such a mess of a thread.

-- The SAPP folks are not the same folks as the Bungie folks. From what I recall, Bungie has very little to do with Halo 1 these days. I'm sure "Bungie has far bigger and better" things to do but they aren't really doing anything about this right now.

-- Many games with bots had servers filled with bots as well. Halo never really had bots and thus this bot thing is something new that custom server folks are harassing the new master list with. This ban isn't unexpected nor will it kill the game any more. In fact, having false player counts is likely a tad more harmful.

-- Xfire has nothing to do with Halo, Xfire dying won't effect Halo at all, and Halo works just fine without Xfire. Why in the world is Xfire associated with this?

-- Why wouldn't a working game last this long? Folks still play Doom 1 online (a game released in 1993, admittedly few people play it today) as well as Unreal Tournament Gold (released in 1999, lists here). This is certainly an old game now but it isn't impossible to play and folks still play it.

Anyway, the Halo 1 folks should be glad that they play on PC. The Xbox (the first Xbox that is) version of Halo 1 is certainly dead and gone. True, Halo still lives on (in newer games and re-releases) but those games will certainly die at some point (and will not be able to be played online). At least the Halo 1 on PC can still be played online today.
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
={101st}=shiNe!
Visitor
Visitor

Admins have actually been using bots in their servers since 2012.
[center]
ImageImageImageImage
[/center]
Sckewi
Visitor
Visitor

Okay already! I made a mistake when I said Bungie. Sheesh. xD

But anyway, the policy is real and is happening.

I'm still in two minds about it.

I like the idea that it means the lobby shows only real players which is better for people browsing the lobby. It's also better for server admins who are trying to get a game going in their server, they're not competing against a bunch of other servers which appear to already have two or three players in them. And I'm sorry but people are more likely to join those servers. If the AFKs didn't help make a server popular, admins wouldn't be putting them on there in the first place. So in that sense I think this change is really good.

What I'm worried about though is with this change players seeing an empty or nearly lobby and moving on to another game. And Xfire made joining and seeing who's on your favourite servers much more convenient. Now you have to open up Halo and navigate to the lobby every time. So I'm just saying these things in combination, over time MIGHT have a negative impact on the game's number of players.

So like I say, I'm in two minds about it really, I guess only time will tell. The ideal result is that the change is made and there's no affect on activity, or that it actually makes the game more popular. In the end I hope Halo PC lives on for a long time as it's one of my favourite games. Hopefully GT is right. The fact Doom and UT are still going after all that time means maybe everything will be alright.
Sckewi