New Computer???

Post here if you need help with your PC or this site.
Aerolicious
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

New Computer???

okay. as many of you may know i play on my laptop that i also use for all my school work. so it isnt the greatest gaming computer, although it is pretty decent. and yes i also use wifi, not ethernet. lol at my connection.

anyways, with my sister moving out of the house, and my mom moving into her room where she will work, i am taking over my moms old desk in the basement. which means i am looking into a desktop computer!

what are good specs and stuff i should look into?? i mainly just play league and CS:GO. a potato could run hearthstone so im not worried about that. but what would be a good computer for league and just a good gaming computer in general?? i do not need an operating system, so if you post a bunch of stuff i should look into, dont include that. it just bumps up the price.

and this is just a computer, not a monitor. i know nothing about computer. like nothing so whats good. halp meh peepelss =D
ImageImageImageImage

'I just beat off a room full of dudes - Soapy 2014
Aerolicious
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

btw, if this belongs in a different forum, just move it there. i wasnt sure where to put it xD
ImageImageImageImage

Milfeulle
Lt General
Lt General

I think it depends on your budget.
In my opinion a good mid-range gaming pc would consist of:

1. A quad core cpu (like any of the higher i5 5th generation Intel ones).

2. A tower case with lots of room for future upgrades and add-ons.

3. A high range mother board like the Z97.

4. 16gb of ddr3 1600mhz memory.

5. A decent graphics card like the Radeon R7 or the Geforce 760 with at least 2gb of ram.

6. A power supply unit around 600/650w output with a decent standard (preferably Gold).

7. A quality hard drive like Caviar Black with 2 or 3 terabytes of space.

8. Also a solid state drive of 120gb at least, for fastest operating system and major applications performance.

Other than that you should get a mouse and a keyboard of course :p

P.s. You must not forget to make sure that the CPU and the tower case come with fitting cooling fans.

ImageImageImageImage
Chem
Lt Colonel
Lt Colonel

The main thing like Milfe just said is what your budget is.

Once you got your budget figured out hit me or red up on TS and we can help you out.
Omega
Major General
Major General

Something I didn't know, and have since come to learn since I built my PC, is that you need to get a 64bit system if you plan on using more than 4gb of RAM. I can only use 2.94gb of my 16gb of RAM. :x

I'd recommend at least 4gb of RAM for your system if you're using it for gaming, since a good portion will be taken up by your OS and any other background programs you may use (TS, Xfire, ect).
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
"my favorite drink is the tears of my enemies! :twisted: " - Milfeulle
Incubus828
Brig General
Brig General

Budget budget budget.

Looking at Newegg is a good way of comparing computer parts that can fit your budget, but make sure you walk the fine line between not breaking the bank and not having a crappy system. I agree a with a lot of the recommendations that Avi put up.

Personally, I usually get anything made by ASUS, as I've never had problems with their hardware. And anything with Nvidia is usally pretty hype too.
It's high time we kicked this Revolution into Overdrive -Jim Raynor
He has the map awareness of a kitchen shelf! -Soapy
I learned that Southwest MN to Idaho looks the exact same and people really enjoy steam coming out of the ground -Hamp
ImageImageImage
BlurredEyes
Visitor
Visitor

Incubus828 wrote:Personally, I usually get anything made by ASUS, as I've never had problems with their hardware. And anything with Nvidia is usally pretty hype too.
That's a personal preference. I haven't had any problems with my parts either atleast for now. What I'd recommend doing is to search around Newegg, find some sales and try to find a nice tower with room to fit stuff in it.

Your budget is missing tho. I don't really know about the prices you need to pay for a good PC in US but in Finland we have to pay more than you usually. I got my PC prebuilt from parts I selected for around 1000€. That got me enough power to run games like Arma III with highest graphics. Just for the love of god don't do the same mistake I did and get Windows 8. I'll be upgrading it to Windows 10 the day I can get it for free because when it comes to gaming this thing is worse than Windows XP.
[center]
ImageImageImage
I'm gonna shoot my shelf ~Snolly
Because drunk people will once rule the world... ~Pacman
Ex Intel Detective, Corps Police, BF3 Div. TO, LoL XO, LoL CO, ACoDC, Diplomat and Consultant
[/center]
redmachine
Major General
Major General

Windows 8.1 is not that bad for gaming... I think its more of a personal preference if you are willing to learn the new interface or not.

As for the computer itself I'll put together a list of what you can get for your price range that you talked about on teamspeak. The key is going to be having the ability to upgrade as you are willing to invest more.

Also sometimes just waiting until a sale for a particular part will help a ton.
Aerolicious
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

i dont need an operating system. i already own windows 7 that i can just install
ImageImageImageImage

BlurredEyes
Visitor
Visitor

redmachine wrote:Windows 8.1 is not that bad for gaming... I think its more of a personal preference if you are willing to learn the new interface or not.
I have absolutely no problem with the interface and stuff but it makes my games and hardware screw up occasionally. I honestly wish it'd work as well as 7 as I love this OS more than it.
[center]
ImageImageImage
I'm gonna shoot my shelf ~Snolly
Because drunk people will once rule the world... ~Pacman
Ex Intel Detective, Corps Police, BF3 Div. TO, LoL XO, LoL CO, ACoDC, Diplomat and Consultant
[/center]
Chem
Lt Colonel
Lt Colonel

BlurredEyes wrote:
redmachine wrote:Windows 8.1 is not that bad for gaming... I think its more of a personal preference if you are willing to learn the new interface or not.
I have absolutely no problem with the interface and stuff but it makes my games and hardware screw up occasionally. I honestly wish it'd work as well as 7 as I love this OS more than it.
Windows 8/8.1 works just fine, you my friend do not have fully compatible hardware :P

Persoanlly I hate Windows 8, the UI is more for a phone and should stay on a phone, not a pc. No start button = no thank you! You shouldn't have to install 3rd party programs inorder to get what you need. It is fun to toy around with though.
CyberViper
Visitor
Visitor

1. What is your budget
2. Are you willing to build it? Or get a pre built one?
idk