Upgrading my gpu

Post here if you need help with your PC or this site.
Kebs.sfr
Visitor
Visitor

Upgrading my gpu

I don't know too much about pc's or anything really. i bought my pc about 6years ago has been working well till now. i get around 160-300fps on csgo still.

mainly upgrading my gpu for better fps in csgo. my current gpu is GTX 560...
People have been saying only my gpu needs upgrading so tomorow i'm thinking about ordering a GTX 750 which should be fine with csgo.

I don't know if my power source will be enough but i'm a student so money is abit of an issue.

here are my pc's specs:

so the question is how do i know if my power source will be able to handle my new gpu?

i know power sources arent too expensive but i was thinking about buying a 144hz screen next month so meh :,D
i shall rain your bottoms.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdNMMW ... y7t-sINb1w
ImageImageImageImage

Pablo: let me love you with all my heart
Pablo: oh papi
[CC]ahamster: uhhh
[CC]ahamster: ....
[CC]ahamster: no
Pablo: We are supposed to be goals?
Pablo: remember
Pablo: supposed to get married
[CC]ahamster: i'm...confused?
Pablo: don't you remeber me?
Pablo: i'm insulted
[CC]ahamster: Well..if you have changed your name....
[CC]ahamster: then i'm not going too
Pablo: XDD
[CC]ahamster: oh my god
Dr Lag
Visitor
Visitor

these friken algger high pingers-Loyde
I have had less Lag running my call of duty 4 on Windows vista-A Radio
You know, I briefly spoke with you on Xfire a couple days ago, and for the rest of that day I had really bad in-game lag. :O-Shine
And now Lag is the one who is OP-Sock?
I Lag so bad when I engage someone close.-Slither
ImageImageImage
Lag
Thankx Sock? and Dart
gt24
President
President

The PSU power rating is something printed on the PSU itself, you cannot easily determine that from within your operating system. However you are already running a video card so you have something decent enough in there.

I would still remove the side and get a watt rating from your PSU before purchasing a new video card.

Your specs are overkill (compared to my specs anyway) and you have plenty of processor and memory to go around. Your video card is a bit strange... it is an older card and a mid-range sort of card. With Nvidia, the first number is the generation (how old or new it is, newer is higher), the second number is a performance rating (higher is better). I have a GTX 670 video card that is fine for me (6th generation, class 7 speed)

... you clearly have over 60 FPS in your preferred game (CS:GO) so I don't know why you would want to upgrade anything more. Anyway, you can compare GPUs online in various places to see how a newer GPU compares to your current one. My 670 handles pretty much everything I can throw at it, Doom and Overwatch and Elite Dangerous are the most recent games that come to mind. I would try to get a card with the same number or higher in the second position (a 6 in this case) rather than stepping down (to a 5 in the card you are looking at). True, the card you are looking at should be faster (since it far newer) but it would help to take any ambiguity out of the equation.

As for the AMD/ATI folks... I'm not sure how to compare Nvidia apples to AMD/ATI oranges. I'm not sure how their video cards compare point to point with Nvidia stuff. If you like Nvidia then there is no reason to change. If you dislike Nvidia then you can research the competition.
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Hanz
Visitor
Visitor

get the new 1080
Hanzo Bilx
ImageImage
Kebs.sfr
Visitor
Visitor

gt24 wrote:The PSU power rating is something printed on the PSU itself, you cannot easily determine that from within your operating system. However you are already running a video card so you have something decent enough in there.

I would still remove the side and get a watt rating from your PSU before purchasing a new video card.

... you clearly have over 60 FPS in your preferred game (CS:GO) so I don't know why you would want to upgrade anything more.
Well i should probably check that thanks for the tip!

and i'm at that point where i'm having to lower my visual fx ingame to get the kind of fps. but the thing is i'm so used playing cod4 and csgo both fps high games that i need atleast a stable 250fps i don't know why but if a game is around 100-160fps it feels laggy to me. But i'm giving it some more thought now thanks!
ImageImageImageImage

Knorreworst
Visitor
Visitor

Kebs.sfr wrote:
gt24 wrote:The PSU power rating is something printed on the PSU itself, you cannot easily determine that from within your operating system. However you are already running a video card so you have something decent enough in there.

... you clearly have over 60 FPS in your preferred game (CS:GO) so I don't know why you would want to upgrade anything more.
Well i should probably check that thanks for the tip!

and i'm at that point where i'm having to lower my visual fx ingame to get the kind of fps. but the thing is i'm so used playing cod4 and csgo both fps high games that i need atleast a stable 250fps i don't know why but if a game is around 100-160fps it feels laggy to me. But i'm giving it some more thought now thanks!
Yeah that's not possible.

What's your monitor's refresh rate? That's the actual FPS you're seeing.
Knorreworst
Visitor
Visitor

I just looked at your DXDIAG - your refresh rate is 60hz. That means your monitor can only process 60fps. You should buy a GPU that delivers stable (or at least) 60fps, no more. Another thing you could do is upgrade to a 144hz monitor, and a GPU to match that.
Chem
Lt Colonel
Lt Colonel

Yeah, you might be getting higher fps but your not actually seeing higher fps. So there is no sense in running higher then 60. I would cap it so you keep a consistent frame rate to make your game smoother.

Also, if your fps is slowly getting worse in CS:GO then the problem isn't your GPU to begin with. Either you have unnecessary programs running on your PC or your computers hardware needs a cleaning. Built up dust and dirt will cause your computer to heat up quicker, reducing its performance over time (and potentially lowering its lifespan).

I would suggest holding off on a new GPU till you show your computer some love and see if its actually needed or not. Clean up your desktop, your startup programs, clear your temp folders (Use CCleaner, google it), and clean out your computer case (GPU, RAM, and CPU Heat sink).

I normally don't upgrade my GPU until i can afford one that will last me at least 5 years or so. Gotta get your moneys worth :P so if this works, then i suggest saving up for a really good card, it will save you money in the long run.
Kebs.sfr
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks for the suggestions guys. And i'm actually planning on getting the 144hz monitor anyway but after the gpu upgrade though. since at the highest lvl of cs its pretty much needed to have a 144hz monitor. But we will see.

And probably now after 6whole years (if not more) probs would be the high time to open my pc's case and clean it abit lol :D the thing is i don't know anything about pc's so i'm scared i'll brake it somehow or something.

This helped quite abit!
ImageImageImageImage

BlurredEyes
Visitor
Visitor

The thing with CS:GO is that even if you only have 60hz monitor and play above 60fps it feels quite a bit smoother. It's been known for a while now that the higher your fps is the smoother aiming feels. Just because you have "only 60hz monitor" doesn't mean you should get a GPU that can only run the game at 60fps. It's like throwing money out of the window if you're ever going to upgrade.

But don't mind me, I'm not an engineer like most of the people on the internet...
[center]
ImageImageImage
I'm gonna shoot my shelf ~Snolly
Because drunk people will once rule the world... ~Pacman
Ex Intel Detective, Corps Police, BF3 Div. TO, LoL XO, LoL CO, ACoDC, Diplomat and Consultant
[/center]
Vicieux
CChief MSgt
CChief MSgt

BlurredEyes wrote:The thing with CS:GO is that even if you only have 60hz monitor and play above 60fps it feels quite a bit smoother. It's been known for a while now that the higher your fps is the smoother aiming feels. Just because you have "only 60hz monitor" doesn't mean you should get a GPU that can only run the game at 60fps. It's like throwing money out of the window if you're ever going to upgrade.

But don't mind me, I'm not an engineer like most of the people on the internet...

QFT. Counter strike has had this millisecond level of precision where the subtlest of movements start to really make a difference. Totally non-existent in other games. However, spending that extra few hundreds for the difference between being able to play fps_max 160 vs fps_max 300 are defiantly not worth it at this point. Especially if your predominately playing in MM 64 tick servers. There are a million other things that will be limiting your game play before that.

Little late to the party, but since you havent posted an update yet, here....

If your pulling 160+ fps already, your fine getting a 144 hz and will be able to play the game fantastically. I have my game currently set at fps_max 160 with a XL2411 monitor (144hz) and a GTX660 and its pristine.

Get the monitor. Save the money for a full, across the board upgrade/build later.

As for you PSU concerns, check this site out: http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

The biggest gain in your case is going to be the 60hz -> 144hz monitor. seriously, its insane the difference.

The takeaway: Prioritize Monitor. If you are already getting 160+ fps your GPU and your current setup is fine, and there are other components (again.. maybe) or peripherals (the monitor, maybe consider a keyboard/mouse) that you should upgrade first.

The issue with single component upgrades tends to be if you have built a well balanced machine, you will have issues upgrading a single piece to the next tier, without bottle-necking (and effectively limiting) its potential... which in this case (gaming specific) you probably don't even need. :)

If your at 160FPS with 144hz and having smoothness issues then you might need some settings optimization in your Nvidia control panel, and perhaps some CSGO config settings. I can help you with that if the need arises :)

The only caveat to this is you'll potentially be limiting yourself to CSGO (and other low resource games at low settings) at 144hz, and you potentially wont be able to get the full experience out of your new monitor with more graphically demanding games. This however shouldn't really be much of an issue because with your current setup this is already the case.. but who knows what you can do with some optimization.
[center]Image
^^ How to properly end a clutch site retake with .... no time to defuse. ^^
ImageImageImage
A.K.A Sam (Halo, Circa 2007), "TheGreat" YNot124 (CSS Circa 2008), Vicieux (CSGO Circa 2012)
[/center]
Linkka
Visitor
Visitor

Vicieux wrote:
BlurredEyes wrote:The thing with CS:GO is that even if you only have 60hz monitor and play above 60fps it feels quite a bit smoother. It's been known for a while now that the higher your fps is the smoother aiming feels. Just because you have "only 60hz monitor" doesn't mean you should get a GPU that can only run the game at 60fps. It's like throwing money out of the window if you're ever going to upgrade.

QFT. Counter strike has had this millisecond level of precision where the subtlest of movements start to really make a difference. Totally non-existent in other games. However, spending that extra few hundreds for the difference between being able to play fps_max 160 vs fps_max 300 are defiantly not worth it at this point. Especially if your predominately playing in MM 64 tick servers. There are a million other things that will be limiting your game play before that.

Little late to the party, but since you havent posted an update yet, here....

If your pulling 160+ fps already, your fine getting a 144 hz and will be able to play the game fantastically. I have my game currently set at fps_max 160 with a XL2411 monitor (144hz) and a GTX660 and its pristine.

Get the monitor. Save the money for a full, across the board upgrade/build later.

As for you PSU concerns, check this site out: http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

The biggest gain in your case is going to be the 60hz -> 144hz monitor. seriously, its insane the difference.

The takeaway: Prioritize Monitor. If you are already getting 160+ fps your GPU and your current setup is fine, and there are other components (again.. maybe) or peripherals (the monitor, maybe consider a keyboard/mouse) that you should upgrade first.

The issue with single component upgrades tends to be if you have built a well balanced machine, you will have issues upgrading a single piece to the next tier, without bottle-necking (and effectively limiting) its potential... which in this case (gaming specific) you probably don't even need. :)

If your at 160FPS with 144hz and having smoothness issues then you might need some settings optimization in your Nvidia control panel, and perhaps some CSGO config settings. I can help you with that if the need arises :)

The only caveat to this is you'll potentially be limiting yourself to CSGO (and other low resource games at low settings) at 144hz, and you potentially wont be able to get the full experience out of your new monitor with more graphically demanding games. This however shouldn't really be much of an issue because with your current setup this is already the case.. but who knows what you can do with some optimization.
Why are you capping at 160? Even though there's more frames per second than your monitor can show, they won't sync perfectly. It won't be as smooth as it is with 300fps for example, because the gaps between frames are longer and the monitor has to choose a further one.

It's not that huge of a difference but if your hardware can handle it, go for it. I had used to have my 660 under full load on csgo while getting 300 fps for my 144hz monitor. Now I have 960 SLi doing the same with 35% usage.

What comes to upgrading the GPU, I'd find a used 960. 560 to 750 won't change much.
ImageImageImageImageImage
[CC]Holly: It's because you're all weird. I play cod to kill people.. not to jump around like little fairys
Positions held:
- Divison command: CoD4 TO x2, XO and CO, LoL CO
- Enlistment: Consultant, Warrant Officer, Enlistment Official
- Game Administration: Assistant Chief of Game Administration
- Foreign Relations: Diplomat
Vicieux
CChief MSgt
CChief MSgt

Linkka wrote: Why are you capping at 160? Even though there's more frames per second than your monitor can show, they won't sync perfectly. It won't be as smooth as it is with 300fps for example, because the gaps between frames are longer and the monitor has to choose a further one.

It's not that huge of a difference but if your hardware can handle it, go for it. I had used to have my 660 under full load on csgo while getting 300 fps for my 144hz monitor. Now I have 960 SLi doing the same with 35% usage.

What comes to upgrading the GPU, I'd find a used 960. 560 to 750 won't change much.

You bring up a good point, I never really considered that.

However, IIRC back when I installed it I was getting a fluctuation between about 170-260, so I just capped at a number that I knew wouldn't dip under any normal circumstance.

Never really felt the need to retest it, but who knows, I might play with it one day. I have made some hardware/software changes since...

Thanks. :D

But yeah it's silly how subtle yet satisfying the difference between ~150 @ 144hz is vs 300 @ 144hz is.
[center]Image
^^ How to properly end a clutch site retake with .... no time to defuse. ^^
ImageImageImage
A.K.A Sam (Halo, Circa 2007), "TheGreat" YNot124 (CSS Circa 2008), Vicieux (CSGO Circa 2012)
[/center]
Linkka
Visitor
Visitor

Ohhh yea forgot to mention I'm running on 4:3 and fairly low graphics. That's why I got such high fps on the 660.
ImageImageImageImageImage
[CC]Holly: It's because you're all weird. I play cod to kill people.. not to jump around like little fairys
Positions held:
- Divison command: CoD4 TO x2, XO and CO, LoL CO
- Enlistment: Consultant, Warrant Officer, Enlistment Official
- Game Administration: Assistant Chief of Game Administration
- Foreign Relations: Diplomat
Kebs.sfr
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks again for all the suggestions, and i have my fps maxed at 300fps right now. Next purchase gonna be a new keyboard since its a cheaper thing to buy.(Currently using like a 5years old asus keyboard that came with the pc lol) And then a 144hz monitor and we will see where to go from there i suppose.

Played for the first time with a 144hz monitor yesterday at my friends house and it was quite a big change more than i thought. So decided to go with that.
ImageImageImageImage