$300-400 Build?

Post here if you need help with your PC or this site.
Doomsday
Staff Sgt
Staff Sgt

$300-400 Build?

So far I'm going with A X4 860K, other than that I have no idea what to get. This is a PC for my dads house, so I can start getting to the CSGO Stuff. I can go Micro-Atx, Full-Atx, heck, I don't care. As long as it can play CSGO for under 4 hundred USD. Sorry about this grammar but I'm on my phone & my phone sucks. (take in mind this is coming out of a 15 year olds pocket)
DOOM. ALL CAPS.
Incubus828
Brig General
Brig General

When it comes to GPU's you can run UP TO a GTX 960 with that processor. I use Nvidia cards, so whatever the other guys' equivalent would probably work too. Those cards will run you around $200 online from what research I did. Since it looks like you just want to play CS:GO you could probably get away with a lesser card, and that would bring your price down significantly. If you want to get the 960 make sure you are aware that some games are CPU dependent and so the card MIGHT 'bottleneck'. CS should be OK, but just so you are aware with other games.

You will probably need to make sure you get a power supply to match the GPU and the Processor going together. It looks like you will only NEED 400W but I HIGHLY RECOMMEND getting higher so you have some wiggle room. I saw a highly rated 550W power supply for around 99, although you can get a cheaper one for around 40. You will want to double check all of these things, and you can check how much power you will need by going to THIS PAGE to check how much you will need. Again, I recommend getting a power supply that is a bit higher than the recommended to make sure your machine has enough juice.

TL;DR Your processor can be used with up to a GTX960 (around 200 bucks) and you will need to make sure you output with at LEAST 400W (good: 99 bucks, ok: 40 bucks). I recommend getting a higher power supply. Look at the power meter link.

GG
It's high time we kicked this Revolution into Overdrive -Jim Raynor
He has the map awareness of a kitchen shelf! -Soapy
I learned that Southwest MN to Idaho looks the exact same and people really enjoy steam coming out of the ground -Hamp
ImageImageImage
Chalkie
Visitor
Visitor

Why not buy something like http://m.tigerdirect.com/products/4668341, then head onto amazon.com and get the $99 750ti https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IDG3I ... ref=plSrch

-Chalkie
Husband and Father of 2 girls, Hastings United fan and website administrator, Geek & Nerd, Coarse Fisherman and comedy lover.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Doomsday
Staff Sgt
Staff Sgt

Chalkie wrote:Why not buy something like http://m.tigerdirect.com/products/4668341, then head onto amazon.com and get the $99 750ti https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IDG3I ... ref=plSrch

-Chalkie

Those have Sandy Bridge i5's yeah?
I thought about doing that, but I don't want to pay 300 for one.
Hope I can find one with a HDD & CDROM.
eBay is my friend
DOOM. ALL CAPS.
Doomsday
Staff Sgt
Staff Sgt

@incubus828 So, In my current build I have a fx-6300, 750 ti & 430 W Power Supply. This Christmas I should be getting some money. Is the 970 worth upgrading with the fx-6300 or will it bottleneck?
DOOM. ALL CAPS.
«DN»Lasky®
Visitor
Visitor

Tucker, what about the AMD-FX 8350? I own one myself...
I am looking for official relations with [CC].
Doomsday
Staff Sgt
Staff Sgt

«DN»Lasky® wrote:Tucker, what about the AMD-FX 8350? I own one myself...
I've heard good things about it. I'll look up some reviews.
DOOM. ALL CAPS.
«DN»Lasky®
Visitor
Visitor

I own one myself, and it is a beast, 8 cores all at 4GHz and turbo @ 4.2GHz.
Doomsday
Staff Sgt
Staff Sgt

«DN»Lasky® wrote:I own one myself, and it is a beast, 8 cores all at 4GHz and turbo @ 4.2GHz.

Just looked it up, not in my price range. Darn.
DOOM. ALL CAPS.
«DN»Lasky®
Visitor
Visitor

There is the 8120 which has the same 8 cores but clocked at 3.5GHz.
Bardock
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Have you tried eBay? It's a budget builders best friend I recently picked up a R7 260X for around $60 and it works perfectly. Obviously you take a bit of risk when buying used but you can make your money go a lot farther that way.
Currently Playing: Apex Legends, Total Warhammer III, and DDO
Positions Held: ACO of STO, ACO & AXO of Gmod, and ARO
ImageImage
Nightmare hasibe Pipistrello.
Bardock
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Sorry for the double post but I'd like to add that while I wouldn't suggest buying anything more powerful then a GTX 960 for that processor you can technically use any graphics card you want granted you have the appropriate power supply.
ImageImage
«DN»Lasky®
Visitor
Visitor

There has to be enough Watts plus maybe 10% to support a high spec gaming build. It might keep crashing otherwise.
Doomsday
Staff Sgt
Staff Sgt

«DN»Lasky® wrote:There is the 8120 which has the same 8 cores but clocked at 3.5GHz.
Looking into that one now. Thanks.
DOOM. ALL CAPS.
Doomsday
Staff Sgt
Staff Sgt

Bardock wrote:Sorry for the double post but I'd like to add that while I wouldn't suggest buying anything more powerful then a GTX 960 for that processor you can technically use any graphics card you want granted you have the appropriate power supply.
okay, thanks man!
DOOM. ALL CAPS.
«DN»Lasky®
Visitor
Visitor

This link also pulled from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_A ... C_32_nm.29

There is also the AMD-FX 8310 and 8300, also both 8 cores only one is clocked at 3.3GHz (8300) and the other is clocked at 3.4GHz (8310)

The all have similar performance and will all give you a lot of power. Intel's chips while most only have 4 cores and 8 threads, and cost an awful lot more, as you are on a budget, I reckon that an AMD-FX 8300/8310/8320 would be the best offer for you if you want major performance.

If you have not got the budget for an 8 core CPU by AMD, you can go with another AMD CPU with the FX-4320 which has 4 cores, however is clocked at the same speed as the 8350 (4GHz again with 4.2GHz turbo)

Just food for thought...
Milfeulle
Lt General
Lt General

For reference sake: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-6 ... MD-FX-8370
I was particularly surprised that Intel's 4 core CPU shows better results than AMD's 8 core one here^.
However, when I looked at the Manufacturing process it became clear why is there such a difference, considering that the AMD was made by a much older fabrication process technology of 32 nm gates, compared to Intel's current line of 14nm gates.

ImageImageImageImage
«DN»Lasky®
Visitor
Visitor

But Milfeulle, they BOTH have SIMILAR performance don't they, that's what I am getting at here.
Bardock
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

«DN»Lasky® wrote:But Milfeulle, they BOTH have SIMILAR performance don't they, that's what I am getting at here.
No they don't actually. The 6600k completely outclasses the 8370, the 8370 is actually much closer to the performance of a 6th, aka the current, generation i3.

AMD FX-8370 vs Intel Core i3-6100
Userbenchmark Effective CPU Speed: 62.2% vs 64.4%
AMD FX-8370 - 139th / 914
Intel Core i3-6100 - 121st / 914
ImageImage
«DN»Lasky®
Visitor
Visitor

The Intel chip is far more expensive is it not?
Bardock
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

The price difference between the FX-8370($184.99) and the i5-6600k($219.99) is about $30.

Meanwhile the i3-6100($104.99) which outperforms the FX-8370 in gaming benchmarks is about $80 cheaper.

People like to argue that Intel is overpriced and yes there is a bit of premium but you're paying for quality components and getting excellent performance for your money. Remember, especially for gaming, just because a processor has more cores doesn't necessarily make it better.
ImageImage
«DN»Lasky®
Visitor
Visitor

I am of the view that the FX-8350 is a good chip. I use it on my desktop and I was immediately impressed with its performance.

I am sticking with my CPU, 8 cores and 8 threads make it a beast in my view. Intel, while it possibly outperforms the FX-8350 is an overpriced CPU. Tucker is on a budget and needs as much bang for his buck as possible. This is why I recommended the FX-8350 originally. I accept that the i5-6600k may well outperform it, but that is no consolation for the price. The i5-6600k is only a quad core CPU. On balance, I would go for the FX-8350 any day. More cores and 100MHz faster per core + an extra 4 whole cores as well.
«DN»Lasky®
Visitor
Visitor

Sorry for double post...

Since you have said that the 8350 is out of your price range, try the 8310 or 8320.
Bardock
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

I'm not suggesting he go out and buy a i5-6600k, hell I'm not even saying he should buy the i3-6100, I'm just pointing out that if he is on a budget of no more then $400 why would he want to spend almost half his budget on a CPU that won't preform any better, for the purposes he will be using it, then a cpu that costs less.

I have no doubt those extra cores would come in handy on a workstation computer, but as far as gaming PCs go single core performance is much more important then the number of cores. Most games, with a few exceptions can only use up to 4 cores and even then most of the workload is on the 1st core and 2nd core.
ImageImage
«DN»Lasky®
Visitor
Visitor

I am trying to point out that if he gets what I have suggested, he has everything in one already and may have no need to build another in future.
Bardock
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

«DN»Lasky® wrote:he has everything in one already and may have no need to build another in future.
I'm not quite sure what you mean? I thought this thread was about him building a 2nd gaming computer for his dad's house not upgrading.
ImageImage
«DN»Lasky®
Visitor
Visitor

That I did not notice. But fair enough... My posts are by experience. I am only making a suggestion that I believe to be valid. I myself went with AMD over Intel for the same reason I have stated above. That's all I am saying.
«DN»Lasky®
Visitor
Visitor

Also...

8 cores of brilliance!
«DN»Lasky®
Visitor
Visitor

Why cant I edit my posts... Apologies for triple post here...

Milfeulle
Lt General
Lt General

Actually, now that I've looked into it more carefully, the amd-8350 has only 4 physical cores, but it does have hyper threading with 2 threads per each core (just like most of Intel's desktop i7's line). Either way, a 32nm fabrication CPU will always be inferior in processing power-efficiency to a 14nm one with similar specs.
Considering that the the 8000's series of AMD processes have the same fabrication technology level as Intel's second generation of i3/5/7 processors, this means that that line of AMD processors is significantly inferior to any 3rd-6th generation Intel i series CPU with similar specs.

ImageImageImageImage