Good FPS Reading, but feels like less

Post here if you need help with your PC or this site.
-Andrew-
Visitor
Visitor

Good FPS Reading, but feels like less

In a multitude of games, I have recently faced an issue that is quite annoying.

Specifically, in Rainbow Six Siege, the fps counter says I'm getting 90-130 frames on all high settings, but it feels a lot choppier than the smoothness that should come. What's weird is that it used to be really smooth and matched up with the counter, but has begun to lack the smoothness I want.

To further test this issue, I lowered my in-game graphics settings to all low and played a game. Still, I had an incredible fps reading, but a lacking feel of smoothness, which is why I'd like to have again. Any solutions are greatly appreciated! Keep in mind my graphics card is an AMD Radeon R9 290.

Some solutions I have tried and have failed in resolving include:

-Updating my GPU drivers
-Updating and messing with multiple settings in the AMD crimson software
-Smashing PC with hammer/bat

Finally, here are the important specs of my PC:

Code: Select all

CPU: Intel - Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor 
Motherboard: ASRock - H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC Video Card 
-Andrew
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."
"Dear Math, please grow up and solve your own problems, I'm tired of solving them for you."
BlurredEyes
Visitor
Visitor

Quick google search brought up some possible resolutions:

1. Updating to W10 has fixed the problem for few people
2. Making sure V-Sync is turned off from game settings and in AMD Radeon settings
3. Enabling 3x buffering in Radeon game specific settings

I have no way of confirming any of these working but you might want to give it a go if you haven't done these already.
[center]
ImageImageImage
I'm gonna shoot my shelf ~Snolly
Because drunk people will once rule the world... ~Pacman
Ex Intel Detective, Corps Police, BF3 Div. TO, LoL XO, LoL CO, ACoDC, Diplomat and Consultant
[/center]
Milfeulle
Lt General
Lt General

Are you playing on your monitor's native resolution for optimal results?

Have you tried it on a different monitor to rule out the monitor being the culprit?

P.s. Hi Blurry! :)

ImageImageImageImage
-Andrew-
Visitor
Visitor

BlurredEyes wrote:Quick google search brought up some possible resolutions:

1. Updating to W10 has fixed the problem for few people
2. Making sure V-Sync is turned off from game settings and in AMD Radeon settings
3. Enabling 3x buffering in Radeon game specific settings

I have no way of confirming any of these working but you might want to give it a go if you haven't done these already.
1 - I'm already on Windows 10, so that's out the picture
2 - V-Sync off in game, have to check the AMD settings so that might work, I'll get back to you on that!
3 - I'll try this as well. Any tips on what the "Global" settings should be set to for optimal performance?

Thanks for the response! :D
Milfeulle wrote:Are you playing on your monitor's native resolution for optimal results?

Have you tried it on a different monitor to rule out the monitor being the culprit?

P.s. Hi Blurry! :)
Yep, playing on my native resolution.

I'll try with a different monitor if I can find one.

Thanks for the response! :D
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."
"Dear Math, please grow up and solve your own problems, I'm tired of solving them for you."
-Andrew-
Visitor
Visitor

Unfortunately after trying both these solutions the results are the same :(.

Good fps shown on screen, but sub-par performance.
-Andrew-
Visitor
Visitor

Unfortunately after trying both these solutions the results are the same :(.

Good fps shown on screen, but sub-par performance.
Chem
Lt Colonel
Lt Colonel

First things first is to get your monitors refresh rate. Its usually on a sticker on the back, but you can just google your model number and find it online if you need too. Most monitors are 60hz unless you have a high end gaming monitor. You want your frame rate to equal your monitors hertz, no more no less. Having 120 fps on a 60hz monitor is the same as having 60fps but your video card is doing twice the work for no reason because the monitor can't display anything over that to begin with and anything lower tends to get a bit sluggish and choppy.

Secondly, go into your power settings menu in control panel (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options) and set it to high performance if it isn't already.

Third thing is to revert to an old video driver to see if that is the issue. Newer isn't always better. Most people say "Have you updated your driver?" Not realizing that updating it could be the problem itself. However, if the old driver doesn't fix the problem then update to the latest one.

Forth thing to do is to make sure you aren't running a ton of useless garbage that Windows 10 likes to run. Push Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open task manager and go to the details tab. Check every single running process using google or the description to see if you need it running or not. Do the same thing with the Services tab and Startup tab.

Lastly, try a different cable for your monitor, it might have a break in the wire or something.
-Andrew-
Visitor
Visitor

Solved! Just had to mess around with some settings! :D

Also, sorry for the double post in this thread, my glitchy phone did that :P
-Andrew-
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks to all who responded with help! Much appreciated!

:party
«DN»Lasky®
Visitor
Visitor

Glad you resolved this issue. Now you can game more! :D
I am looking for official relations with [CC].
Linkka
Visitor
Visitor

Chem wrote:First things first is to get your monitors refresh rate. Its usually on a sticker on the back, but you can just google your model number and find it online if you need too. Most monitors are 60hz unless you have a high end gaming monitor. You want your frame rate to equal your monitors hertz, no more no less. Having 120 fps on a 60hz monitor is the same as having 60fps but your video card is doing twice the work for no reason because the monitor can't display anything over that to begin with and anything lower tends to get a bit sluggish and choppy.
The more, the merrier. You may not be able to see the difference but you can definitely feel 60fps vs 300fps in a game. The input lag reduces a lot.
ImageImageImageImageImage
[CC]Holly: It's because you're all weird. I play cod to kill people.. not to jump around like little fairys
Positions held:
- Divison command: CoD4 TO x2, XO and CO, LoL CO
- Enlistment: Consultant, Warrant Officer, Enlistment Official
- Game Administration: Assistant Chief of Game Administration
- Foreign Relations: Diplomat